Pricing for SSD are constantly dropping to upgrading your primary disk partition (C: drive) will be common place. Here are the steps I took to upgrade my 128GB to 500GB SSD.
First you will need a recover disk. In Windows 8.1 search for “Create a recovery drive”. I used a 32GB USB flash drive, though 16GB would have sufficed.
Second you need to create an system image of your primary drive. To do this follow the steps outlined here:
http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/windows-81-tip-use-system-image-backup. I created my image on a secondary slower SATA drive. Once complete you should see a WindowsImageBackup folder in the destination.
Now you are done with the prep work, go ahead and boot off the USB key and go into Troubleshoot and Advanced to do a system restore. It will automatically find that system image backup created in step 2.
Once you restore your primary drive will be the same size as the original, so the last step is to extend the drive which you will need this excellent free tool: http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html
That’s it and good luck
If you are doing any serious development on Windows Azure at some point you will want to look at the data that is stored in the cloud (either dev fabric or azure fabric). I‘ve tried several tools and so far by far Cloud Storage Studio by Cerebrata.
You can manage multiple accounts which is very handy. All three storage types (Blobs, Table, and Queues) can be managed very intuitively through the interface.
Go ahead and give it a try you’ll be happy you did.
After upgrading my project from Silverlight 2 to Silverlight 3, my Azure project would not load😦. Looks like the upgrade for Azure assumes you have VS 2010.
Fortunately the fix is simple in 2 easy steps (click images to see them better):
1) Renumber the tools version from 4.0 to 3.5
2) Remove the text “ for VS2010”
Hope this helps
With Vista you can no longer access the default drive shares ex: C$ (or any other administrattive shares for that matter) by default anymore.
Fine, I can accept that, but it should have been clearer on how to re-enable it for those that want/need it, but I digress.
Anyway, I finally decided to look into some more and found the following KB article that explains how to re-enable it.
Hope this helps
If you are running benchmarks with perfmon in Windows 2008 64-bit you can no longer user the ASP.NET and ASP.NET Application of perfmon is your application is in 32-bit mode.
As a better alternative anyway, is to use the new ServiceModel perfmon. You need to add the diagnostics section in the web.config like this:
<system.serviceModel> <diagnostics performanceCounters="All" /> </system.serviceModel>
Then you will have access to metrics for each operation(method) in each endpoint in the ServiceModel* categories of perfmon. Really nice!
For more details:
Probably one of the most asked questions with LINQ to SQL, is how do you update detached entities. Often people will simply resort to doing a SELECT to get the entity into the datacontext and then update the data.
Steve Michelotti describes how to do it here:
and if your entity has child objects check this post out:
For an excellent write up on Entity Framework that is both an overview and tutorial in one, see Stefan Cruysberghs 3 part series.
It covers enough that it’s not too much information, but detailed enough to get you going rapidly.
Cesar de la Torre has an excellent write up for managing concurrency with the Entity Framework.
Good blog post the describes using dynamic LINQ to create lambda expressions to use in LINQ.